Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I'm living my dream.

So here I am, sitting in my classroom... I should be using this time where Clint is in class to get a TON of stuff done...

instead I'm sitting here almost in tears.

today was hard. I'll be honest, first grade is a lot harder than 2nd was for me. I have kids who don't even know all their ABC's. That's hard.

That's not why I'm sitting here practically crying.

I am so grateful that I'm sitting right here. Right here as in: my extremely messy classroom where the books aren't put away because my first graders read them today. As in the room where every desk is skeewompus because first graders get so excited about learning that they literally inch their desks closer and closer to the front of the room where the teacher is....
or maybe they're just a little squirmy.... we'll go with excited about learning.


I'm so glad I found a job this year.
I'm so glad my little 6 yr olds give me a hug or a high five every day when they leave.
I am so excited that one of my little boys learned 2 more letters than he knew on Friday when I tested him.
I love the perfectly innocent way they look at the world.
I teach children who, in some cases, live with parents who are... less than ideal.
I get to be one of their role models. OR maybe they are mine.
I get to make sure they say please and thank you, take turns and say nice words.
I get to read them stories of things they have never dreamt of, but they do all the time now.
I am blessed to teach children how to read. That makes a huge difference in life.

I don't know how I got here. I mean, I am aware that I spent 4 years in college and did a pretty strenuous internship last year...

I made it here, to first grade.

and I'm living my dream.
<3

2 comments:

  1. Hey there!
    I don't know if you are still wanting to hear from me because I haven't finished your pictures...I am working on them! It just has been such a culture shock coming to first grade!

    I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has shed tears over the change! I have been SO overwhelmed! I am pretty sure I know how your feeling!

    Please call me if you want help with anything! I would love to help you if I can! Patti gives pretty good ideas but sometimes it would be nice talking over things.

    I hope that things settle down... (for the both of us)

    Shaunna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alissa, I Love Love this post! Mom and I were just talking the other day about how you started school and we both said that we could't picture you anywhere else but here, with this Wonderful career! I can only imagine how crazy it is to take care of 15+ kids all at once (it's hard enough for me to take care of one sometimes). But I also can't imagine how rewarding this path will lead for you. You're the kind of teacher I want my children to go to when they become of age. You'll also be an Amazing mother when the time comes because of all this experience you're going through. I hope it gets better for you, actually I know it will and I am Amazed at how Well you do your job and how Wonderful your spirits are!

    Love you Liss and we miss you! Hopefully we get to see you soon!

    Love,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete