Monday, May 20, 2013

Sometimes the EMTs visit my classroom...

So today was an exciting day in second grade. I am positive my kids will always remember 2nd grade and the time the EMTs visited...

So this morning everything was going great. It is the last week of school so we have a lot of fun things planned and I was all ready to go. I felt a little tired, but that really isn't anything new... so onward we go...

The kids came in and got started with their morning workbooks and after a few minutes I stood in front of the class to correct the page with them. Everything was going great... until I started seeing little black stars... I realized I was talking a little more slowly than usual and the kids were looking at me funny... then my vision starting going black VERY quickly. As I lowered myself to the ground I told my kids that someone should probably go get someone from the office and I saw about 5 of them run out the door as my vision went completely.

The principal and office secretary ran into my room yelling for someone to call 911 (by this time I was laying on the ground feeling a little shaky, but really just fine, I never felt like I was gone all the way, just couldn't see anything for about 5 seconds). Someone was reading a book to my kids at the rug, who obviously were not listening to the book, but instead talking about me.
"I think her baby is about to come out..."
"ya, maybe we'll see her tummy just open up..."

...then the ambulance came. 
So this is starting to sound like it was a way big deal, I really was ok,
I barely even fainted for heavens sake! 

And the EMTs came in with all their gear. And I called Clint and let him know that apparently this was happening to me... I was laughing the whole conversation because it just seemed ridiculous... looking back, the EMTs may have thought I was crazy...
and the kids are still supposed to be reading this book about bears... 
ya, not a chance.
Then the EMTs rolled in a stretcher
 (which the kids kind of loved)

 and I said no way. They checked my vitals and stuck these things on me and checked my heart and my sugar level. I mean, this was all out intense. And they said I should probably ride in the ambulance to the hospital.
Which costs like as much as the child I am growing 
so I said no thank you
and they laughed at me, kindly of course, but they definitely chuckled.

I asked if someone else could drive me instead and they said they would have to see.

In the end, they said nothing seemed to be wrong, but I should call my OB and visit him today and my principal would drive me. So I put sticky note instructions on all the things we were supposed to do in school that day for the substitute that was now in my classroom, and we drove to Provo.

The doctor asked me what in the world I had been teaching to cause me to faint (I told him nothing exciting, just a morning workbook) and had me do a non-stress test. Clint came from work and joined me and we laughed about how crazy this got so fast. Everything came out fine again and the doctor asked how long I had been standing. I said probably about 45 minutes and apparently that's too long these days. He went out into the waiting room (where my principal was sitting bless her heart) and suggested I take the rest of the day off and for the last 4 days of school I should sit and teach, and only stand for 15 minutes at a time.

So that's my story. I'm home now... not knowing what to do with myself since I didn't plan on taking today off work... And I keep thinking what in the world are my kids going to tell their parents when they get home from school today

They are probably going to expect to see my newborn baby tomorrow when I go back to work.

What a disappointment. 

And in 10 years when they remember 2nd grade, let's be honest, they will automatically say, "ya, that was the year my teacher was pregnant and passed out the last week of school. It was cool because the ambulance came!"

And ya know, it was pretty cool. Maybe we'll write about it in writers workshop tomorrow.


5 comments:

  1. You'd better believe I vividly remember the time my second grade teacher started choking in class. Only one or two kids went to the office across the hall for help though. Most of the kids went over to her and started pounding on her back. So helpful, I'm sure. I think I just sat at my desk all bewildered.

    Glad to hear you're just fine! Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story. Glad everything is okay and that you can laugh about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Alissa! I'm glad you and baby are okay! I loved how you stayed so calm during all of it. I'm excited to meet Baby Prestwich. When are you due again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. My. Gosh!! I am dying right now!! I had already heard about what happened, but just reading it again, is Hilarious!! Not that you fainted, of course, but just everything else about it and the conversations the kids were having. I'm pretty sure that... 1. I would not be lowering myself slowly to the ground as I'm passing out. That is Impressive! 2. I don't think I would have had time to even tell anyone to go get help, 3. I am Especially Grateful that all is Well with you And baby Olivia, 4. You are Amazing!! Love that you have such a positive and laughable outlook on this whole thing. And 5. Thanks for reading my novel just now! ;) Love you Liss and can't wait to meet sweet Olivia! She is already keeping you on your toes! Lol

    ReplyDelete