Sunday, September 15, 2013

Life in Mississippi

We moved to Mississippi! Clint is going to school in Memphis, Tennessee everyday (it's only a 15-20 minute commute) and we are loving the South!

Baseball game! We saw about 10 minutes of it before the rain storm came in...

Ten things we've learned about the South so far... 
1. Everyone is so nice. Really though. I believed Clint when he told me people were nice before I came out here, but I was pleasantly surprised. During Clint's family orientation at his school this nice man in the group with us held my diaper bag the whole 2 hour tour, and 3 older ladies in the group offered to hold Olivia. And, when there is a police officer around the corner and you're speeding down the street, people flash their brights at you to warn you about the police! I thought it was strange that someone flashed their brights at me in the middle of the day and Clint said someone told him about it when it happened to him too. How cool is that?! I think that should be a more commonly used practice... not that I speed a lot...

2. It is so green! The freeway is lined with huge trees and everywhere you look you see giant trees with southern mansions hiding behind them... GORGEOUS. Love the trees. 

3. The BBQ really is amazing. We've tried a few places, and as a welcoming present the relief society of our ward gave us a bottle of amazing bbq sauce from a local place. wow. really good.

4. There are bugs bigger than I thought possible in lived in areas. I mean, I heard Clint's stories about bugs in the Amazon in Brazil where he served his mission and I just thought thank heavens I live in modern civilization where I don't have to worry about that. O, I have to worry about that. The first week we were here there was a hole in the weather stripping of our back door. We watched as a huge spider and a blue lizard climbed through that hole and joined us in the dining room. EW EW EW! There may have been a point where I was standing on the chair... and also a few melt downs about Olivia's safety... 

5. It is so fun to have our own house. We bought a house when we moved down here and I have so much more motivation to decorate and it's been a lot of fun. There are also drawbacks- like we had to fix the hole in the back door that we found trying to replace the weather strip... turns out the door was rotted through and we needed to replace it. Luckily, we're in the south and the repairman said he had a door laying around his house and he'd give it to us for free! See? REALLY nice people around here.

Emily and I painting Olivia's room


No comments:

Post a Comment