Saturday, September 7, 2013

Our Baby Girl

So, about 9 weeks ago our baby came! Sorry about the late notice, but she keeps us busy! Here's the story.

So on July 9th I was scheduled to be induced. Clint and I packed our bags and drove to the hospital. It was weird thinking as we drove that the next time I was outside, driving in a car, I would for sure, no doubt about it, have a baby. I think I had been pregnant for so long that I didn't really think it was going to actually end ya know? But boy, am I glad it did! 

So we checked into the hospital and Clint's cousin's sister in law was our nurse and she took very good care of us. She started me on Pitocin at 7:45 AM and every half hour or something like that she increased my dose and the contractions started coming. By 9:30 I was having pretty regular contractions, I was dialated to 3 cm and things were going well. Clint and I were just chatting and getting excited. Then Clint got a phone call. It was his cousin (who is an anesthesiologist at the hospital I delivered at). He said that the  anesthesiologist leaving his shift was slightly better at giving epidurals than the one coming onto his shift so I should get mine now. So I did. It was by far the scariest part for me. I didn't think I was nervous about getting an epidural but when he wheeled in his cart I was shaking and crying a little and freaking out a lot. Turned out that it hurt less than the IV did and I didn't really have anything to be scared of afterall. 

I fell asleep. Clint says this part was really boring for him and he drained the batteries on both our phones playing games... The doctor came in around 11 and broke me water and I went back to sleep. I woke up again at 1:30 and I was dilated to a 10!! I was ready to go but the doctor said because it had gone so quickly he would let the baby descend on her own for another hour. 

The doctor came around 2:25 and said the lady next door to me was also his patient and at the same point I was. He said he was going to try both of us pushing and whoever seemed to be more ready would get to go first. I pushed once and he said we should just go for it. I pushed through about 4 contractions, for about 15 minutes and we had our little girl! She came out wailing and I couldn't believe she was mine. 




Olivia Jane Prestwich was 19 inches long, 6 pounds 15 ounces, and was very healthy. We enjoyed being pampered at the hospital for two uneventful days and then we went home. Clint's family and my mom were able to come help me out for a week while we all got used to this baby business and things have been going pretty smoothly since. 

I told Clint that if I didn't have to be pregnant for 9 months, I could have babies all the time. It was such a great experience. I feel so blessed to have our little girl come so easily and that she was healthy. We love her so much. 

Welcome to the world sweet pea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment